Project Management for Software Development
Workshop Course 340 • 4 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Deliver successful software projects that support your organisation's strategic goals
- Adjust your management style to reflect the chosen Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Manage projects at each stage of the SDLC
- Create project plans that address real-world management challenges
Workshop Activities Include:
- Reaching a consensus on project goals and deliverables
- Assessing your project for strategic risk
- Choosing the SDLC that best meets your needs
- Creating an effective project plan: accomplishing the goal with the team's buy-in
- Controlling the project day-to-day
About This Course: This course provides the tools to select the correct development life cycle, create realistic plans, and manage a software development team through each phase of the project. You will use a realistic software project to develop your ideas and practice the key concepts.
This course is part of a Learning Tree Specialist or Expert Certification in Software Development - Project Management – Learn more »
Conducting a Project Kick-Off Meeting
The business reasons for the project
- Where the project fits in the business
- How this fit influences your chances of success
The project customers
- Identifying stakeholders and their needs
- Developing strategies to manage involvement
The project objectives
- What success looks like
- Making the team's success visible
- Managing the project to build customer confidence
Balancing Development Needs with Organisational Expectations
Selecting software development life cycle models
- Comparing SDLC models
- How to identify the right model
- Analysing strengths and weaknesses of Traditional vs. Iterative vs. Agile (e.g., XP, Scrum)
Designing a road map for your project
- Mapping your PM process to your project's SDLC
- Optimising time, cost, function and quality
Translating Stakeholder Needs into Actions
Structuring content for your software project plan
- Providing initial top-down estimates
- Identifying tasks and phases using a WBS
- Calculating realistic bottom-up estimates
- Sequencing tasks into a network diagram
- Constructing Gantt charts to assess resource needs
Getting the right resources
- Identifying resource needs using your plan
- Delegating work effectively
Reality check for your project plan
- Testing the plan before you begin
- Assessing the project using risk management
- Involving the team in planning
- Building confidence for your plan
- Selling the plan to relevant stakeholders
Running the Project: Day-to-Day Decisions for Success
Focusing on the project management process
- Putting theory into practice
- Early warning signs
- Building team commitment
- Day-to-day tracking and management
- Measuring progress with milestones
- Defect detection and prevention
Characterising the software development process
- Analysing how the SDLC drives deliverables
- Pressures to expect at each stage
- The major stages and how they relate
- Determining the working practices in traditional, iterative and Agile developments that offer the greatest impact
Building successful teams
- Getting technical teams to work collaboratively
- Engaging the team in the planning process
- Empowering team members
- Managing the stages of team development appropriately
Driving the Implementation: Recognising and Overcoming Challenges
Tracking and control
- Measuring software progress
- Linking progress to success
Implementing change control
- Principles of change control
- The value of configuration management
- Analysing project risk
- Changing the risk profile
- Planning for contingency
Closing the Project: Learning from Experience
- Sharpening your project management skills
- Influencing the continuous improvement process of your organisation
Who Should AttendProject managers, team leaders, business analysts, those new to running a software development project, or anyone involved with or looking to refresh their knowledge of software project management.
- User & System Requirements for Successful Software Development - Course 218
- Microsoft Project Introduction - Course 3702
- Software Testing and Quality Assurance - Course 316
- Agile Project Management with Scrum - Course 918
- Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Prep - Course 276
- Management Skills for an IT Environment - Course 906
Standard class hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Last day class hours:
9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Free Course Exam – Last Day:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each class day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuition & Benefits
Our Uniquely Attendee-Friendly Tuition Fee Terms
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition fee is due 30 days AFTER your course
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Cancelling your course at ANY time
Tuition fee is the same for In-Class or AnyWare™ Course Participation
4-Day Tuition New Attendee Returning Attendee Notes Commercial £2,095 Call 0800 282 353
Click here for multi-course savings plans.
Tuition fee payment is not required at time of enrolment.
Course Tuition Fee Includes:
You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use to work on hands-on exercises.
Comprehensive Course Materials
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic.
Certificate of Achievement & Participation in Certification Programmes — All Exams are FREE!
- Certificate of Achievement for completing your course – suitable for framing
- Framed diploma upon completion of our 2-Course Specialist & 3-Course Expert Certifications
FREE ATTENDEE BENEFITS
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and two new unique after-course benefits:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
FREE Computing Sandbox™
After your course, you’ll be given remote access to a preconfigured virtual machine for you to redo your hands-on exercises, develop/test new code, and experiment with the same software used in your course.
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Fee Savings:
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition fee savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 0800 282 353 for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Many Learning Tree courses provide industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course qualifies as a Core Course in our Job-Specific Professional Certification Program. Read More... This course is approved by PMI® for 23 professional development units (PDUs). For more on the Project Management Institute and a full list of courses approved for PDUs. Read More...
What is this course about?
This course provides the tools necessary to organise and select process choices, create realistic plans, and build and manage an accomplished team through every phase of the software development life cycle. Through the use of a simulated real-world project experience, you are immersed in an authentic environment running a software development project. This unique approach provides you with a solid foundation to apply the lessons learned in class on your next project back at your organisation.
Who will benefit from this course?
This course benefits anyone involved in software projects. It is particularly valuable for project managers, team leaders, technical leads, business analysts and resource managers responsible for the delivery of software projects. Members of the software project team (developers, testers, analysts, business representatives), and other senior personnel will also benefit. If you depend upon the delivery of software or provide software teams a service this course will show you how the most effective projects are run.
Does this course cover "traditional" or "modern" project planning?
Both. This course shows participants how to integrate the most successful techniques, including both modern and traditional approaches designed to meet the real-world challenges of today. The course also emphasises the creation of a tailored solution that meets specific problems at hand. The building blocks used to create solutions are taken from current best practice models and today's business environment.
How does this course differ from Course 296?
Course 340 focuses on the unique aspects of software development projects as well as project management fundamentals. A clear thread throughout the course is the Software Development Lifecycle that has been chosen for the project. Traditional, iterative and agile methods are all discussed and compared in terms of their impact on the management of the project and the focus of the project manager. Course 296, Project Management: Skills for Success, teaches the principles and best practices of running a broad range of projects. Participants should not take both Course 296 and Course 340 as there is significant overlap in the content of these two courses.
How is time spent in this course?
This course analyses the project in the context of the business. How does the project deliver the business needs and what does that mean to the project management team? Who are the project customers? What do those customers want?
Then, project approach and delivery options are assessed. The strengths and weaknesses of various time-tested alternatives, as well as current life cycle models and methods, are dissected to identify the choices that you have in developing an effective project approach.
Once a project plan and an effective risk management process are in place, the project can begin. This course focuses both on the creation of realistic plans and the day to day implementation of those plans. It provides a straightforward three-step model for the initial creation of the plan, including key planning tools such as the work breakdown structure (WBS), the network diagram and the Gantt chart. The challenges facing the software project manager are explored.
What kinds of activities are included in this course?
Approximately 45 percent of class time is spent in activities. Throughout the course, you are immersed in an authentic experience running a software development project.
- Reaching consensus on project goals and deliverables
- Assessing the project for risk
- Implementing an appropriate life cycle for the software delivery
- Creating an effective project plan
- Diagnosing how to resource the plan
- Extracting best practices for future projects
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
- 286, Risk Management for Projects, Programs and Operations teaches you to proactively develop strategies that analyse the risks associated with project development and implementation.
- 918, Agile Project Management with Scrum offers the skills to plan, manage and close a software development project in reduced time using Agile practices.
- 218, User & System Requirements for Successful Software Development introduces a comprehensive, practical process for the step-by-step definition of organisational and user requirements.
- 294, Influence Skills: Getting Results without Direct Authority focuses on behaviours and attitudes that enable you to achieve desired results without relying on the use of authority.
How much time is devoted to each topic?
Content Hours External factors that dictate success 2.5 Choosing a development strategy 2.5 Creating and "selling" realistic plans 7.0 Managing for increased success: day-to-day project manager insights 7.5 Employing skills, methods and tools 3.5
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Centre using AnyWare™
For AnyWare Learning Centres, Click Here »
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Attend Live from Home, Work or AnyWare Centre
Course Attendance Method
Attend Live In-Class
- Morning Start—UK Dates 9am-4:30pm Local Time
- Jan 20 - 23
- Apr 28 - May 1
- Jul 21 - 24
- Oct 20 - 23
- Afternoon Start—US Dates 2pm - 9:30pm GMT
- Mar 3 - 6
- Mar 24 - 27
- Mar 31 - Apr 3
- May 5 - 8
- Jun 9 - 12
- Jun 23 - 26
- Jul 28 - 31
- Aug 4 - 7
- Aug 25 - 28
- Nov 10 - 13
- Nov 17 - 20
Afternoon Start Time event
Course dates with the Afternoon Start Time icon are scheduled 2pm-9pm.
Tuition Fees & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Fee Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enrol in Your Learning Tree Course with Peace of Mind
- The tuition fee for your course is NOT DUE until a month after you attend.
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Cancelling your course at ANY time.
- Your satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed ... or you pay no tuition fee.
FREE Attendee Benefits!
FREE Computing Sandbox™
For Practice & Experiments
Learn more about these and other FREE Benefits, Click Here or Call 0800 282 353
You can bring this course on-site to your organisation
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"The Project Management for Software Development Course was perfect! Better than I expected and exactly what I wanted. Plus, the instructor was the best I have ever encountered in the industry. Outstanding!"
– S. Legge
Senior Software Designer
People Who Took This Course
Portions of the Learning Tree website may not be fully optimised for Internet Explorer 7.
For the best viewing experience, we recommend that you upgrade your browser to the latest available version.
Should you have any questions, please contact customer service at 0800 282 353.
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
0800 282 353
- IT & Management Training
IT Courses - Topic Areas:
- Agile Training (20 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Apple OS X/iOS Programming & Enterprise Integration Training (3 courses) 2 NEW!
- Big Data (7 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Business Intelligence (15 Courses) 6 NEW!
- Cloud Computing (4 Courses)
- Cyber Security (15 Courses) 1 NEW!
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Java, C++, Perl and Python Programming (11 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Linux and UNIX (8 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Microsoft Office (10 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Mobile App Development and Apple Programming (6 Courses) 2 NEW!
- .NET/Visual Studio (16 Courses) 4 NEW!
- Networking and Virtualisation (11 Courses) 2 NEW!
- Oracle Databases (11 Courses)
- Project Management (25 Courses) 3 NEW!
- SharePoint (15 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Software Dev. & Agile (20 Courses) 3 NEW!
- SQL Server (24 Courses) 8 NEW!
- Web Development and XML (12 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Windows Systems (20 Courses) 3 NEW!
Management Courses - Topic Areas:
- Business Analysis (11 Courses) 2 NEW!
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Leadership and Professional Development (23 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Project Management (25 Courses) 3 NEW!
- Learning Tree Certification Programmes
- Industry Certification
- Project Management Institute
- IIBA® Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- CompTIA Certification
- PRINCE2® Certification
- ISTQB Certification
- Master's Programme
- For Groups/Teams
- For Enterprises
Course Delivery Solutions
- Bring Our Training to Your Site
- Attend Courses Live, Online with AnyWare
- Build a Custom Course to Meet Your Needs
- Ways to Attend
Attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Centre using AnyWare™
- Canada (6 locations)
- France (9 locations)
- Sweden (3 locations)
- Japan (1 location)
US Training Locations
- Atlanta, GA
- Baltimore, MD
- Boston, MA
- Charlotte, NC
- Chicago, IL
- Jacksonville, FL
- Los Angeles, CA
- Northern New Jersey
- New York, NY
- Philadelphia, PA
- Richmond, VA
- Tidewater, VA
- Washington, DC Area
You can attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Centre using AnyWare™
- My Learning Tree