Workshop Course 290 • 4 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Apply core management skills and techniques to deliver results
- Enhance leadership ability by developing emotional intelligence
- Communicate with, motivate and empower your team
- Delegate work to individuals and teams
- Develop a management vision for success
Workshop Activities Include:
- Developing a strategy to motivate your team
- Scripting and applying your delegation approach
- Mapping stakeholder environment to analyse interdependencies
- Enhancing your management style with EI
- Affecting behaviour with appropriate measures
- Designing effective feedback techniques
About This Course: You gain the key skills, best practices and behaviors of effective managers — leadership, delegation, motivation, communication and vision — as well as powerful techniques for getting the best from people. You build a blueprint for personal success using proven management models.
Workshop Course 290 • 4 Days
Setting the Stage for Great Management
Best practices of contemporary management
- Defining customer success
- Establishing a sense of direction
- Adopting a continuous improvement mindset
- Empowering people for high performance
Identifying stakeholder needs
- Mapping the stakeholder environment
- Identifying mutual and conflicting expectations
- Establishing success criteria
Applying a Model for Management Excellence
Importance of management identity
- Making the transition from expert to manager
- How managing, leading and administering relate
- Managing people more expert than you
What kind of manager do you want to be?
- Developing a management role model
- Adapting the model to your managerial situation
- Ten things all successful managers do
Managing with Emotional Intelligence (EI)
Five characteristics of the effective manager
- Knowing yourself: developing three key intrapersonal skills
- Working with others: applying integral interpersonal skills
Applying emotional intelligence day to day
- Responding appropriately in key situations
- Using emotional intelligence to lead by example
Motivating Individuals for Performance
Recognising key motivators
- Avoiding the top demotivators
- Leveraging motivators that work for everyone
- Maximising your impact on motivation
Matching motivators to individual expectations
- Identifying people's basic needs
- Recognising and responding to generational differences
- Developing and applying a motivational strategy
The Art of Delegation
Fostering commitment through effective delegation
- Creating a spirit of partnership
- Establishing a common understanding of success
- Applying a proven step-by-step process for delegation
Getting the job done: task and process
- Determining individual strengths
- Building on natural talents
- Collaborating for successful outcomes
Achieving Goals through People
Agreeing on clear expectations
- Setting group norms for yourself and your team
- How your expectations influence others
- Establishing shared purpose and mutual accountability
Amplifying individual contributions through synergistic teamwork
- Creating an environment conducive to collaboration
- Practical and productive team-building techniques
Helping your team work more productively
- Enhancing communication through a three-layer model
- The importance of team dynamics and diversity
A Proactive Approach to Managing Performance
Enabling and supporting excellent performance
- Developing others to achieve their potential
- Focusing performance through effective measures
- Utilising continuous appraisal techniques
- Integrating coaching and appraisal to build performance
Effectively managing workplace disruption
- Intervening when performance goes off track
- Reinforcing and redirecting behaviours with constructive feedback
Applying Your Management Style
- Starting with the end in mind
- Creating momentum and flexibility in your team
- Keeping the future in focus
- Crafting your personal approach to management
- Taking action to implement your personal goals
- Challenging organisational constraints
Who Should AttendManagers wishing to broaden and improve their skill sets, those new to management, and those who wish to build their knowledge of contemporary management techniques.
Standard class hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Last day class hours:
9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Free Course Exam – Last Day:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each class day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuition & Benefits
Workshop Course 290 • 4 Days
Our Uniquely Attendee-Friendly Tuition Fee Terms
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition fee is due 30 days AFTER your course
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Cancelling your course at ANY time
Tuition fee is the same for In-Class or AnyWare™ Course Participation
4-Day Tuition New Attendee Returning Attendee Notes STANDARD £2,095 Call 0800 282 353
Click here for multi-course savings plans.
Tuition fee payment is not required at time of enrolment.
Course Tuition Fee Includes:
You are provided with an in-class computer dedicated for your sole use to work on hands-on exercises.
Comprehensive Course Materials
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic.
FREE! Online Course Exams
You can take your course exam on the last day of your course and receive:
- Eligibility to participate in Specialist & Expert Certifications
- A Certificate of Achievement with the designation "Awarded with Distinction"
FREE ATTENDEE BENEFITS
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and a unique after-course benefit:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Fee Savings:
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition fee savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 0800 282 353 for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Workshop Course 290 • 4 Days
Many Learning Tree courses provide industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course qualifies as a Core Course in our Job-Specific Professional Certification Program. Read More... This course is approved by PMI® for 23 professional development units (PDUs). For more on the Project Management Institute and a full list of courses approved for PDUs. Read More...
Workshop Course 290 • 4 Days
What is this course about?
In this course, you learn how to build an empowered and motivated team, harness the power of individuals, and create a proactive, customer-focused and results-oriented culture. In this immersive four-day course, you build a blueprint for personal success using proven management models.
Who will benefit from this course?
The course benefits:
- People who have been promoted to lead a project or team
- Those who are expecting or planning to be promoted to a managerial position in the foreseeable future
- Established managers who want to refresh their tools and techniques
What kind of background do I need?
No special background is required. You need only have the desire to learn the skills that will make you a successful manager.
How does this course approach the topic of management?
Your natural managerial ability can be appreciably improved through formal training. This course teaches you what good management is and how to do it effectively. You learn the tasks of the two fundamental managerial roles:
- Administrative Manager: Setting objectives, delegating tasks, carrying out appraisals and running the day-to-day work of the team
- Leader: Building a vision for the team, motivating individual team members, communicating effectively and building the ability of the team to do an outstanding job
How does this course differ from Course 906, Management Skills for an IT Environment?
Both Course 290, Management Skills, and Course 906, Management Skills for an IT Environment, focus on the fundamental skills, best practices and behaviors of effective managers. If you are managing technical people, you should take Course 906, Management Skills for an IT Environment. Otherwise, you should take Course 290, Management Skills. Due to the similarity of both courses, it is not appropriate to take both.
How does emotional intelligence apply to management?
In order to develop self awareness and self responsibility in others, managers must demonstrate these qualities themselves. The emotional intelligence model focuses on the key building blocks of the necessary intra- and inter-personal skills and behaviours that enable managers to deal productively with a broad range of individuals and challenging situations.
Emotional intelligence is the subject of one chapter in this course. For more in-depth coverage of emotional intelligence, please see Course 3411, Emotional Intelligence: Achieving Leadership Success.
I prefer to do things on my own. Why should I delegate?
An effective manager uses delegation as a tool to empower and encourage others. Through effective delegation, you continually increase the capability of your team demonstrated through increased revenue and a growing customer base.
I have an underperforming employee. Can I really motivate him/her?
Yes. By understanding your employee's individuality, skills, strengths and personal values, it is possible to develop customised motivational strategies. These can be used to maintain the motivation of employees who are on target or redirect the efforts of employee whose performance goes off track.
Is this course applicable toward a Project Management Institute (PMI) certification?
Yes. Though this course is not designed as preparation for an exam, it is beneficial to anyone working toward, or maintaining, a PMI certification. Most PMI certifications require a specific number of PDUs in order to obtain and maintain the credential. Completion of this course provides 23 professional development units (PDUs).
Learning Tree offers several courses that help you prepare for PMI certifications, including Course 276, Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Prep, which prepares you for PMI's most popular certification. For more details on these courses and PMI certifications, please see the Learning Tree PMI Registered Education Provider Q&A.
How much time is spent on each topic?
Content Hours Setting the stage for great management 3.0 Applying a model for management excellence 2.0 Managing with Emotional Intelligence 2.0 Motivating individuals for performance 2.5 The art of delegation 2.5 Achieving goals through people 3.5 A proactive approach to managing performance 3.5 The power of vision 3.0
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
What kinds of activities are included?
Approximately 65 percent of the course includes group activities through which you develop skills in team building, problem solving and delegation. In individual sessions, you analyse problems and identify solutions to management challenges. Activities focus on the following topics: Mapping interdependencies, defining the manager's job, creating a vision, maintaining customer focus, teambuilding, managing delegation and planning your new role as a manager.
I'm attending this course from work using AnyWare-Learning Tree's web-based remote attendance platform. How will that impact what I learn?
You will participate fully in the course and acquire the same knowledge and skills as your classmates who participate in the classroom. You will have the same course materials, be able to easily communicate back and forth and ask questions of your instructors and peers.
Are the job-specific professional certification programs endorsed?
Yes. This course and associated exam qualify as a core course in our Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) Endorsed Professional Certification Program. ILM, Europe's foremost leadership and management organisation, has assessed and endorsed these certification tracks as a benchmark of the high quality training you will receive at Learning Tree. When you successfully complete of one of these programmes you will receive a prestigious ILM endorsed certificate recognising your achievement and 12 months ILM Membership including many membership benefits.
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
Learning Tree offers a number of courses in management, communication and planning.
- 222, Leading Teams: Improving Productivity Through Teamwork
- 294, Influence Skills: Getting Results without Direct Authority
- 284, Critical Thinking and Creative Problem Solving
- 280, Finance and Accounting for Nonfinancial Managers
The following courses may also be of interest:
- 247, MBA Skills: Essential Tools for Personal Success
- 340, Project Management for Software Development
- 296, Project Management: Skills for Success
- 346, Project Leadership: Building High-Performance Teams
- 286, Risk Management for Projects, Programmes and Operations
- 3411, Emotional Intelligence: Achieving Leadership Success
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Centre using AnyWare™
For AnyWare Learning Centres, Click Here »
Attend Live from Home, Work or AnyWare Centre
Course Attendance Method
Attend Live In-Class
- Morning Start – UK Dates 9am-4:30pm GMT
- Sep 8 - 11
- Oct 27 - 30
- Jan 5 - 8
- Mar 15 - 18
- May 24 - 27
- Afternoon Start – US Dates 2pm - 9:30pm GMT
- Aug 18 - 21
- Sep 15 - 18
- Nov 10 - 13
- Dec 15 - 18
- Feb 9 - 12
- Mar 22 - 25
- Apr 12 - 15
- Jul 5 - 8
- Jul 26 - 29
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Afternoon Start Time event
Course dates with the Afternoon Start Time icon are scheduled 2pm-9pm.
Tuition Fees & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Fee Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enrol in Your Learning Tree Course with Peace of Mind
- The tuition fee for your course is NOT DUE until a month after you attend.
- There are NO FEES for Rescheduling or Cancelling your course at ANY time.
- Your satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed ... or you pay no tuition fee.
FREE Attendee Benefits!
Learn more about these and other FREE Benefits, Click Here or Call 0800 282 353
You can bring this course on-site to your organisation
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"The Learning Tree management courses I have attended far exceed other management training I have had. I always appreciate the instructor's knowledge, energy and ability to consistently engage the class".
– S. Basham
Remedy Development Lead
Cable & Wireless
Attendees Who Took This Course Also Took:
Portions of the Learning Tree website may not be fully optimised for Internet Explorer 7.
For the best viewing experience, we recommend that you upgrade your browser to the latest available version.
Should you have any questions, please contact customer service at 0800 282 353.
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
0800 282 353
- IT & Management Training
IT Courses - Topic Areas:
- Agile and Scrum (28 Courses)
- Apple Programming and Enterprise Integration (3 Courses)
- Big Data (30 Courses)
- Business Intelligence (20 Courses)
- Cloud Computing (13 Courses)
- Cyber Security (24 Courses)
- ITIL® (14 Courses)
- Java Programming (14 Courses)
- Microsoft Office (16 Courses)
- Mobile App Development (5 Courses)
- .NET/Visual Studio (23 Courses)
- Networking and Virtualisation (17 Courses)
- Oracle (19 Courses)
- Perl and Python (6 Courses)
- Project Management (35 Courses)
- SharePoint (23 Courses)
- Software Development (18 Courses)
- SQL Server (32 Courses)
- UNIX and Linux (13 Courses)
- Web Development (28 Courses)
- Windows Systems (29 Courses)
Management Courses - Topic Areas:
- Business Analysis (18 Courses)
- Communication Skills (6 Courses)
- ITIL® (14 Courses)
- Professional Development and Leadership (42 Courses)
- Project Management (35 Courses)
- Learning Tree Certification Programmes
- Industry Certification
- Project Management Institute
- IIBA® Certification
- Scrum Alliance Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- CompTIA Certification
- PRINCE2® Certification
- ISTQB Certification
- Master's Programme
- For Groups/Teams
- For Enterprises
Course Delivery Solutions
- Bring Our Training to Your Site
- Attend Courses Live, Online with AnyWare
- Build a Custom Course to Meet Your Needs
- Ways to Attend
Attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Centre using AnyWare™
- Canada (5 locations)
- France (12 locations)
- Sweden (3 locations)
- Japan (1 location)
US Training Locations
- Atlanta, GA
- Baltimore, MD
- Boston, MA
- Charlotte, NC
- Chicago, IL
- Dallas, TX
- Los Angeles, CA
- Northern New Jersey
- New York, NY
- Orlando, FL
- Philadelphia, PA
- Richmond, VA
- Tidewater, VA
- Washington, DC Area
You can attend your Hands-On Instructor-Led Course In-Class or LIVE, Online from your Home, Work or nearest AnyWare Centre using AnyWare™
- My Learning Tree
© Learning Tree International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are owned by their respective owners. Click here for details.