Windows® 8 Introduction
Course 2404 | 4 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Install, manage and support the Windows 8/8.1 operating system
- Navigate and perform administrative tasks using the Windows 8/8.1 interface
- Create, manage and secure user accounts, groups and resources
- Customise Windows 8/8.1 settings, network protocols and services
- Install and configure Hyper-V virtual machines on Windows 8/8.1
Hands-On Experience Includes:
- Managing virtual machines with client Hyper-V
- Customising the Windows 8/8.1 GUI
- Configuring the system with PowerShell
- Securing and auditing resource access
- Creating and maintaining local and domain users and groups
- Troubleshooting application compatibility
About This Course: As organizations adapt to rapidly shifting computing trends, Windows 8 has emerged as the first Microsoft operating system to integrate cloud, virtualization and mobile technologies into the enterprise environment. In this course, you gain the knowledge and skills necessary to fully realize the benefits of these technologies to successfully maintain, manage and support Windows 8 and 8.1.
Introduction to Windows 8/8.1
Assessing platform requirements
- Selecting 32-bit/64-bit hardware
- Leveraging Hyper-V virtualisation
Installing Windows 8/8.1
- Initiating installation from removable media
- Deploying via the network with WDS
- Creating Windows To Go environment
Discovering the new technologies
- Navigating the interface
- Exploring the Windows Store
Configuring and Maintaining the OS
Optimising system configuration
- Installing and managing device drivers
- Refreshing and resetting the OS installation
- Creating and attaching Virtual Hard Disks (VHD)
Monitoring and troubleshooting the OS
- Investigating the system with the Task Manager
- Supporting Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
- Burning a Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) CD
- Conducting administration with PowerShell
Selecting Windows Update options
- Scheduling patch installation
- Considering intranet update alternatives
- Removing problematic patches
Managing Local and Domain Accounts
Creating users and groups
- Integrating Windows Live IDs
- Supporting Workplace Join
- Granting specific rights to groups
Customising user profile options
- Redirecting folders and libraries
- Syncing user data with the cloud
Configuring User Account Control (UAC)
- Avoiding surreptitious administrative activity
- Mandating UAC settings with Group Policy
Controlling object access
- Allowing and denying access to files and folders
- Removing business data automatically
- Locking down devices
- Evaluating inheritance propagation
- Auditing resource access
- Checking audit logs
- Protecting data with BitLocker To Go
- Recovering access to encrypted volumes
- Implementing Pervasive Device Encryption
Optimising Network Access
Managing Network Location Awareness (NLA)
- Fine-tuning Windows Firewall profiles
- Inspecting NLA-Firewall relationships
Selecting network protocol options
- Comparing IPv4 and IPv6 benefits and limitations
- Troubleshooting network configurations
- Determining appropriate protocol bindings
Providing customised network access
- Managing both Windows 8.1 and RT
- Shadowing and optimising RDS sessions
- Configuring Tethering and WiFi hotspots
Considering Additional Windows Capabilities
Supporting legacy desktop applications
- Investigating built-in compatibility technologies
- Defining application-specific Registry permissions
Leveraging the Steps Recorder
- Analysing end-user program crashes
- Editing recorded step reports
- Suspending applications
- Fully exiting apps
Who Should AttendIT and desktop support staff, systems administrators, power users and anyone wanting to gain hands-on experience with Windows 8.
- Windows Server 2012 Introduction - Course 2410
- Windows Server 2012 Administration - Course 2411
- Windows Server 2012 Active Directory Domain Services - Course 2412
- Microsoft System Center 2012 Technologies - Course 2414
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Introduction - Course 2415
- Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Virtualization - Course 2417
- Windows Server Group Policy Management - Course 963
- Windows PowerShell: Automating Administrative Tasks - Course 969
Standard class hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Last day class hours:
9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Free optional course exam:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each class day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
More Course Info
What is this course about?
In this course, you gain the skills necessary to manage, maintain and support the most advanced features and capabilities of Windows 8/8.1. You learn to configure and customise the OS for optimal performance, establish and maintain user accounts and groups, secure local and network-accessible resources, ensure application compatibility and functionality, and troubleshoot Windows 8/8.1 operating and networking systems.
Who will benefit from this course?
This course will be helpful to any IT staff member responsible for installing, maintaining, securing, and/or supporting Windows 8/8.1 desktop computers. It may also be helpful to system administrators, power users, managers and budget decision makers considering a move to Windows 8/8.1.
What background do I need?
Anyone with a Windows IT background will likely find this course of value. If you have never had experience with Windows operating systems, but have experience in other GUI operating systems, such as Mac OS or Red Hat Linux, you will likely succeed in this course.
Will I learn how to configure my laptop to interact safely with my domain servers at work and at home?
Yes. While we will not concentrate on home networks and personal computing, we know it is important for today's travelers to use their laptops securely wherever they work. In this course, you learn about Network Location Awareness (NLA), which provides laptop users with a safe and secure method of networking everywhere.
Will I learn about BitLocker and BitLocker -To-Go recovery and relocking techniques?
Yes. You will perform a BitLocker recovery in a hands-on exercise, and you will learn to schedule automatic relocking of BitLocker-encrypted drives based on time and/or events.
Does this course cover all editions of Windows 8/8.1?
All desktop editions are covered at some level, but this course is delivered using an enterprise desktop edition of Windows 8. Users of server products should review the course brochure topics before deciding if this course is appropriate for them.
Will I learn to use PowerShell to manage Windows 8/8.1?
You will learn the basic concepts and capabilities of PowerShell for routine workstation investigation and management, such as synchronising folder permissions and starting or stopping services. For a full overview of the PowerShell product, you should consider Course 969, Windows PowerShell®: Automating Administrative Tasks, which deals exclusively with PowerShell for four full days.
Will the course be updated to include Windows 8.1?
Yes. This course has incorporated Windows 8.1 content. General availability for Windows 8.1 was on October 18th, 2013.
Does this course address Active Directory administration from Windows 8 workstations?
Yes, but only in basic techniques. You will install Active Directory administrative tools onto a Windows 8/8.1 computer and use them to create domain users and groups. For a full introduction to Windows domains and the Active Directory, you should consider Course 960, Windows Server® 2008 Introduction, Course 2400, Windows® 7 Introduction or Course 2410, Windows Server® 2012 Introduction.
How does Windows 8/8.1 fit into the Windows family?
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are the latest desktop operating systems from Microsoft. They are built on Windows 7 concepts and technologies, but include the new interface, and vastly improved performance, security and usability features.
I have 5 years of support experience with an earlier edition of Windows. Should I take this course?
Yes. If your company is planning to move to Windows 8, then you will benefit by becoming familiar with the user interface and the latest tools afforded by Windows 8 operating systems. If your company is already immersed in its desktop migration, you will be ready to assist this process with the knowledge gained in this course.
How much time is spent on each topic?
Content Hours Introduction to Windows 8/8.1 4.0 Configuring and Maintaining the OS 4.0 Managing Local and Domain Accounts 3.5 Securing Resources 4.0 Optimising Network Access 4.0 Considering Additional Windows Capabilities 3.5
Times, including the workshops, are estimates; exact times may vary according to the needs of each class.
What kinds of hands-on exercises are performed in this course?
Approximately 40% of the time in this course is spent on extensive hands-on exercises that provide practical experience configuring Windows 8/8.1. Exercises include:
- Installing and customising Windows 8/8.1
- Navigating the Windows 8/8.1 user interface
- Browsing the Windows 8/8.1 App Store
- Configuring the system with PowerShell
- Managing user accounts and profiles
- Securing resource access
- Providing access to network resources
- Solving application compatibility issues
- Troubleshooting application compatibility
I'm attending this course from work using AnyWare - Learning Tree's web-based remote attendance platform. How will that impact what I learn?
You will participate fully in the course and acquire the same knowledge and skills as your classmates who participate in the classroom. You will have the same course materials, be able to easily communicate back and forth and ask questions of your instructors and peers, and you will control an in-classroom workstation dedicated entirely to you. Your instructor will be able to see exactly what you're doing and can interactively offer concrete help.
How does this course help prepare me for Course 2410, Windows Server® 2012 Introduction?
This course introduces you to Microsoft's newest desktop operating system, its interface and some of the concepts and technologies involved in domain participation. When you move forward to Course 2410, you will be better prepared to understand domain principles as well as those of desktop operating systems participating in a domain.
I have already taken Course 2400, Windows® 7 Introduction . Will this course be of benefit to me?
Yes. While Windows 8 is an evolution of the Windows 7 operating system core, it has some significant improvements and an entirely new interface. However, many fundamental Windows concepts are covered in both courses.
How does this course relate to other Learning Tree courses?
Learning Tree offers a number of courses that will help you expand upon the knowledge gained in this course and further your skills in several key areas. Those courses include:
- 2400, Windows® 7 Introduction
- 2401, Deploying and Managing Windows®
- 2410, Windows Server® 2012 Introduction
- 2411, Windows Server® 2012 Administration
- 960, Windows Server® 2008 Introduction
- 961, Windows Server® 2008 Administration
- 962, Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory Domain Services
- 963, Windows Server® Group Policy Management
- 966, IIS 7.5 for Windows Server® 2008
- 969, Windows PowerShell®: Automating Administrative Tasks
Many Learning Tree courses provide industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. See below for continuing professional development credits associated with this course.
This course is approved by CompTIA for continuing education units (CEUs). For additional information and to confirm which courses are eligible towards your CompTIA certification, click here.
Our Attendee-Friendly Tuition Terms — Exclusively with Learning Tree
- There is NO Advance Payment required
- Tuition fee is NOT due until AFTER you've enjoyed your course
- There are NO FEES for cancelling or rescheduling your course at ANY time
- Your Satisfaction is 100% GUARANTEED
Tuition fee is the same for In-Class, AnyWare™ or LiveLinked Course Participation
Commercial 2-Day 3-Day 4-Day 5-Day New Attendee £1,295 £1,645 £2,045 £2,365
Course Tuition Fee Includes:
Comprehensive Course Materials & Exams
You'll be provided with copies of instructor presentations and the hands-on exercises for your course, both printed and electronic. All certification exams are free.
Certificate of Achievement & Participation in Certification Programmes to Enhance Your Credentials
- Certificate of Achievement for completing your course – suitable for framing
- Framed diploma upon completion of our 2-Course Specialist & 3-Course Expert Certifications
- Continuing Education Units displayed on your certificate
FREE Attendee Benefits Before, During & After Your Course
FREE Personal 'My Learning Tree' Account
Preserves your training accomplishments and lets you access course notes, certificates, special offers, learning resources (blogs, whitepapers, how-to videos, etc.) and a new unique after-course benefit:
FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
You may schedule a free coaching session with your instructor to ask questions and receive guidance.
- FREE After-Course Instructor Coaching
Course Tuition Fee Savings:
* For all returning Learning Tree course attendees, you're entitled to a returning attendee tuition fee savings, whether you took a course with us 20 years ago or last week. Please call us today at 0800 282 353 for details on how to take advantage of these savings.
Click here for Multi-Course Saving Plans.
Many Ways to Attend this Course...
Attend this live, instructor-led course In-Class or via AnyWare
From Your Home, Work or at One of Our AnyWare Learning Centres
Click here to view AnyWare Learning Centres »
Guaranteed to Run
You can be sure that all courses marked with an icon are absolutely guaranteed to run.
Attend live from Home, Work or AnyWare Centre
Course Attendance Method
Attend live In-Class
Select Your Date:
- Morning Start—UK Dates 9am-4:30pm Local Time
- Aug 26 - 29
- Jan 13 - 16
- Jun 9 - 12
- Afternoon Start—US Dates 2pm - 9:30pm BST
- Apr 14 - 17
Afternoon Start Time event
Course dates with the Afternoon Start Time icon are scheduled 2pm-9pm.
Tuition Fees & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enrol Today – Risk Free!
Call 0800 282 353 or enrol online by selecting your date above.
- No advance payment required.
- No fees for cancellation or rescheduling, ever.
- Take up to 30 days after your course date to pay.
- Satisfaction guaranteed – or you pay no tuition fee.
You can bring this course on-site to your organisation
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »
"At my Learning Tree AnyWare Course, along with the convenience of not having to travel to the Education Center, I found it easy to interact with both the instructor and the other attendees..."
– L. Normansell
SharePoint Specialist/System Analyst
EG & G Technical Services, Inc.
People Who Took This Course
Click here to CONTACT US or call:
0800 282 353
- IT & Management Training
IT Courses - Topic Areas:
- Agile Training (16 Courses) 4 NEW!
- Big Data (5 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Business Intelligence (11 Courses)
- Cloud Computing (4 Courses)
- Cyber Security (12 Courses) 1 NEW!
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Java, C++, Perl and Python Programming (9 Courses)
- Linux and UNIX (6 Courses)
- Microsoft Office (8 Courses)
- Mobile App Development (4 Courses)
- .NET/Visual Studio (12 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Networking and Virtualisation (9 Courses)
- Oracle Databases (10 Courses)
- Project Management (20 Courses)
- SharePoint (14 Courses)
- Software Dev. & Agile (16 Courses) 4 NEW!
- SQL Server (16 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Web Development and XML (10 Courses) 1 NEW!
- Windows Systems (18 Courses) 1 NEW!
Management Courses - Topic Areas:
- Business Analysis (10 Courses)
- Communication (10 Courses)
- ITIL® and COBIT® Training (12 Courses)
- Management and Leadership (15 Courses)
- Project Management (20 Courses)
- Learning Tree Certification Programmes
- Industry Certification
- Project Management Institute
- IIBA® Certification
- ITIL® and COBIT® Certifications
- CompTIA Certification
- PRINCE2® Certification
- Master's Programme
- For Groups/Teams
- For Enterprises
Course Delivery Solutions
- Bring Our Training to Your Site
- Attend Courses Live, Online with AnyWare
- Build a Custom Course to Meet Your Needs
- Ways to Attend
- Belgium (1 location)
- Canada (6 locations)
- France (10 locations)
- Sweden (1 location)
- Japan (1 location)
US Training Locations
- Atlanta, GA
- Baltimore, MD
- Boston, MA
- Charlotte, NC
- Chicago, IL
- Jacksonville, FL
- Los Angeles, CA
- Northern New Jersey
- New York, NY
- Philadelphia, PA
- Richmond, VA
- Tidewater, VA
- Washington, DC Area
Live Online with AnyWare™
... from anywhere!
- My Learning Tree