SQL Server® 2012: Administration Skills Upgrade
Course 2105 | 3 Days
Evaluations in the Last 12 Months
You Will Learn How To:
- Leverage the new SQL Server 2012 administrative features
- Build database high-availability solutions with AlwaysOn groups
- Implement user-defined server roles to delegate responsibilities
- Resolve performance problems by examining waits
- Configure a contained database to achieve deployment flexibility
Hands-On Experience Includes:
- Migrating databases to SQL Server 2012
- Leveraging the new features in Management Studio
- Configuring AlwaysOn availability groups
- Defining SQL Server Audits
- Creating a contained database to avoid orphaned users
- Analyzing waits to troubleshoot performance problems
About This Course: SQL Server 2012 includes an extensive array of capabilities for SQL Server administrators. Those migrating from SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2005 must upgrade their skills in order to leverage the enhanced feature set. This skills upgrade course provides the knowledge required to effectively take advantage of the new features in SQL Server 2012.
Course 2105 Content
Introducing the New Database Engine Features
Installing SQL Server
- Assigning service accounts
- Choosing installation options
- Acquiring the AdventureWorks sample database
- Core vs. Server and CAL licenses
- Maximizing virtualization opportunities
Upgrading to SQL Server 2012
Planning an upgrade
- Installing the Upgrade Advisor
- Analyzing pre-2012 databases
Migrating a legacy SQL Server database
- Comparing an in-place upgrade with migration
- Transferring a database to 2012
Implementing AlwaysOn Availability
Demystifying AlwaysOn availability groups
- Combining clustering, mirroring and replication
- Choosing an architecture
Configuring an availability group
- Setting up the SQL Server group for high availability and disaster recovery
- Monitoring with the Availability Group Dashboard
Offloading resource-intensive tasks to secondary servers
- Taking full and transaction log backups
- Running report queries
Securing SQL Server 2012
Taking advantage of user-defined server roles
- Segregating roles and responsibilities
- Constructing a user-defined server role
Applying new audit capabilities
- Server-level audits
- Auditing database events
- Filtering audit events
Managing Contained Databases
Comparing contained and noncontained databases
- Considering the advantages of contained databases
- Handling temporary tables with a contained database
- Avoiding collation conflicts
Developing and creating a contained database
- Granting user access
- Converting an old database to a contained database
Breaking Performance Bottlenecks in SQL Server 2012
Querying important dynamic management objects
Exploring the plan cache
- Viewing cache contents
- Building a Database Engine Tuning Advisor (DTA) Workload
Monitoring waits and queues to improve performance
- Contrasting waits and queues
- Analyzing significant wait types
- Correlating waits and queues
Simulating concurrent users
- Investigating SQL Server Distributed Replay
- Preprocessing the workload
- Executing on multiple threads
Employing extended events for performance tuning
- Constructing packages
- Resolving blocking problems with Extended Events
Applying Columnstore Indexes to Decision Support Queries
Dissecting columnstore indexes
- Comparing traditional and columnstore indexes
- Determining when to apply a columnstore index
Improving query performance
- Designing the index
- Measuring the impact of the index
Who Should AttendExperienced SQL Server administrators considering or currently migrating to SQL Server 2012, who have practical DBA experience with prior versions of SQL Server databases.
Standard class hours:
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Last day class hours:
9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Free optional course exam:
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Each class day:
Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest:
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
More Course Info
No additional course info is available at this time.
Many Learning Tree courses provide college credit and industry continuing education credits. You can also earn a Learning Tree Professional Certification in your area of expertise and prepare for popular industry certifications. For continuing professional development information, click here.
3-Day Fee New Attendee Notes Fee Per Course £1,645
Click here for multi-course savings plans.
Tuition payment is not required at time of enrolment.
Tuition Fees & Savings Plans
Take advantage of our Multi-Course Tuition Savings Plans. Learn more »
Enrol Today – Risk Free!
Call 0800 282 353 or enrol online by selecting your date above.
- No advance payment required.
- No fees for cancellation or rescheduling, ever.
- Take up to 30 days after your course date to pay.
- Satisfaction guaranteed – or you pay no tuition fee.
You can bring this course on-site to your organisation
Bring Learning Tree Training to your workplace with our On-Site Training Solution. Learn more »